About the Working Animal Alliance
We believe in a world where working animals benefit from the recognition they deserve for the invaluable contribution they provide to humankind.
We have joined forces to influence the global dialogue and make a positive impact on the health and welfare of working animals by establishing new and strengthening existing cross-sectorial partnerships.
Our ambition is to create a stronger voice for working animals through an informal group of stakeholders – including individual countries, international bodies, NGOs, academics, women, young people, farmers, the private sector and other relevant actors - that work collectively towards achieving collaborative advantages.
How alliance support the SDGs
The Alliance aims to:
- Emphasise the vital support working animals provide towards sustainable development, with a particular focus on livelihoods, climate change, gender empowerment and the dissemination of infectious diseases;
- Deliver mutual benefits for the members by providing a stronger voice for working animals as well as a system for countries to ease their implementation of the SDGs;
- Provide advice for countries which wish to report their progress when preparing their Voluntary National Reviews, reports against the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 – 2030 and any other relevant UN SDG processes;
- Co-ordinate actions to build and encourage synergy across stakeholders, while concretely contributing to the delivery of the SDGs, the Paris Climate Agreement, the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 – 2030 and any other relevant processes.
The Alliance will ensure synergy across stakeholders by coordinating support and communication to members about relevant intergovernmental and international commitments. Primary activities involve:
- Sharing information supporting the role of working animals in the SDGs.
- Identifying gaps in research to highlight working animals’ contribution towards delivering the SDGs and climate change.
- Developing the Alliance into a strong network which can benefit members.
- Preparing a report for the mid-term review of the SDGs in 2023
- Maximise the use of media to share the Alliance's activity and those of the members.